Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77

Thread: I have a rules question

  1. #31
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have a rules question

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKCats1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love it a personal attack from a moderator. Someone who is not supposed to do that. I suggest that you man up and remove the post yourself. </div></div>

    Oh please... [insert rolling eyes]

    A moderator can't have their own opinion?
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  2. #32
    Inactive Member imported_UKCats1's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2004
    Posts
    607
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have a rules question

    Personal opinion yes personal attack no
    [url="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg"]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/02/01/sterger.roadtrip/p1_sterger.jpg[/url]

  3. #33
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have a rules question

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WiseRecGuy91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to digress back to Mr. Cane's Comments. You may think what you want, but many of us can go back into records and check on issues of technical fouls and ejection. And after looking, I can find 4 technical fouls and ejection that fell your way.</div></div>

    ...says the guy that has total control over the records and could change them to fit his argument. Not buying it man. I know what I did and what I didn't do. The only thing I ever recall doing out of line in intramurals was getting an unsportsmanlike penalty in flag football for celebrating w/the Nestea plunge after returning an interception from one endzone to the other...and that was before your time (my sophomore year).

    I recall fouling out a few times, but never a technical, never a flagrant, and never got ejected. Look at your records all you want, I know how I played, and what happened. The only person that ever got close to calling a technical on me was a friend of mine, and she almost did it as a joke b/c I told her in class that she wouldn't call one on me. I did my fair share of talking, working the officials--but never crossed the line to technicals or ejections.

    However--to me, it doesn't matter all that much--to paraphrase AI--we talkin intramurals man! Intramurals was fun and a good way to get in some exercise and meet other students...that's all. I never set out to win a bunch of championships--I went out there to have fun and win if I could. Unlike yourself...which leads me to:

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I was trying to say is that you have complained about officiating since I have known you. You continue to bring up people's pasts. For one, I can not remember a time that a faculty/staff team has won a championship in IM sports at UVa-Wise, It Has NEVER happened. For the fraternity you speak of: they earned evereything they have ever won and to use UKCats1's comment, I have always been harded on them than anyother team. Since I took over, more people play Intramural Sports, more teams have won the All-Campus Championship that the frat you speak of,</div></div>

    I never said that the faculty won a tournament or a season title. I never said that there weren't some good players on this newly minted Kappa Sigma fraternity in the past. However--you seem to neglect to remember I used to hang out w/some of these guys in this particular fraternity pre-name change, and I saw and heard things like this happen first hand. I can't count on my fingers & toes how many times you've gotten away with stuff on the court due to your students not wanting a bad grade. Can you go back in your records and see how many times you pushed off on people, fouled others, and held/tackled people going down the court and your students didn't call it on you b/c it was you? That should have been a full stat sheet when you stepped on the court.

    To revisit the slant towards this fraternity as well...it's really interesting how every game I've seen where they play a team that should beat them badly in a tournament of some type that at least 2 of the officials were members of said fraternity...whatta coincidence. I've seen it w/my own eyes, and I've got zero reason or motive to lie about any of this...and I'm not the only person at UVAW or on this board either one that's seen it happen.

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and everyone from Student to Staff have personally told me I am more fair than the last guy that was in charge.</div></div>

    ...and had I heard this in person from said staff or student, I would have laughed in their face. Way to bash a guy who is much more of a man than you can ever claim to be, especially after you used to follow him around like a puppy dog looking for scraps. You know how bad people used to sit back, observe that, and laugh their heads off behind your back? More than you'll ever know...

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the officiating need to get better, Yes, no doubt there! </div></div>

    Finally--something that we can agree on instead of the personal attacks you brought my way.

    How does it get better? By officials saying that fans can't possibly know what they're seeing so they're doing a fine job? Or do officials need to examine their performance on a per game basis, to see what they did right, what they did wrong, and improve accordingly? I flat out see basketball officials around here that don't seem to do that. Once again--I don't have much beef at all w/the way other sports are officiated, but the basketball officiating in this area is horrid. It gets to the point where not only does it seem they don't care, it's evident in their performance over time...and eventually ends in kids getting hurt badly when it can be at least partially avoided by calling the game tighter instead of allowing so much contact that a kid eventually feels like he can throw a punch/kick/elbow w/o consequence.

    But it's not about kids getting hurt, no--I'm a whiner and complainer. That's why I was sickened by a kid getting his leg broke just last week, and also why I've been to the ER waiting to see how bad a kid's concussion is more than once in the past 2-3 seasons...and that's more than enough...and it can be at least lessened if officials would tighten up.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  4. #34
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have a rules question

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yankeebaseball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at Wise, OZ was know as the worst bunch out there, we had the police almost called on us. lol</div></div>

    Yeah--ya'll were terrible... [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yankeebaseball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hold our HS record for T's, I had 6 in 4 years.</div></div>

    Straight up thug. LMAO...
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  5. #35
    Inactive Member Slobber Knocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2007
    Posts
    807
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have a rules question

    This forum is to be used to ask some of the officials, who do frequent this board, for rules, clarifications of rules and the like. It will hopefully be a place where officials can notify us, some of the general public, fans, coaches, players or whomever, to rule changes, changing of language or if possible what the actual language of the rule is.
    Moderator: R0cketer

    Guys, I am not going to comment on the fans or refs because as an official you cannot win. No Matter what. I do not ref for the fans and I could care less what they have to say, good or bad. I can only speak for myself and I can promise that I will bust my butt on the court to make sure the kids I ref get a total professional job. Even if it is 4th and 5th graders. Anyone who knows me on this forum knows that for a fact.
    I just feel this forum has lost the reason it was posted and has turned into a "soap opera." I could care less how many "t's" a FORMER HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETE received in high school or intramural (sp) athletics or fraternities winning championships. Kinda like Al Bundy scoring 4 touchdowns in one game!
    Now don't get me wrong, I do not mind things an official missed in a game being discussed.
    I like the discussion on rules interpretations but I do not like personal attacks on an individuals "judgment!" No matter who it may be. If you are that brave, tell him man to man to his face what you think.
    I know how some "posters" are on here. You cannot win with them no matter what you say. I just want to see this post go back to the way it used to be and questions asked about rules in sports.

  6. #36
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have a rules question

    Heres tsomething I will disagree with you on Coeburn Cane. You mentioned the officials listening to a fans critique. Theres really not much of a point in that IMO. The fans don't know the rules generally, don't know who is supposed to have a call, or anything about mechanics. This is where we are lacking right now severly in all sports IMO. We do not have former officials, or current ones on nights off the court, critiquing others work, and having scorecards and etc. That would be extremely beneficial throughout a season IMO.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  7. #37
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have a rules question

    Playing to the fans is something wrong, but there are several who do know the rules. In as much as we don't want the officials to listen to the fans, it would be good if they didn't walk into the game or sit over there talking to 10 good buddies on one teams side [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

    I just figure its going to continue on like it is till we have a kid paralyzed due to getting slammed on his neck or something like that before there is some self-blame going on. If you want to criticize the effort and the quality of ball around here anymore, I'll be right there with you. That being said, putting blame on the association, that lack of ability or whatever, isn't a fix. Several officials have gotten on here and been critical of the officiating, and then there are some who come on here and do the 'don't blame us, blame the system'. I agree the system needs to be fixed, and I'll agree that there are plenty of fans who don't know the rules, but I've seen more than a few officials who didn't know the rules as well, and the fans pay to get in the game, the officials get paid for the games, so its definitely worse when they don't know the rules. I don't condemn Zebra, and I do think Cane went a bit far in his attack, I told Zebra earlier that I thought it was a tough call to make. It would definitely be something that if it can be reviewed, needs to and the clarification of the rule should be a point of emphasis.

    Let's try to use this board for what it is, ask a ref, not crucify a ref though. That's why I asked for how the rule was written, because I wanted to know what the wording is. I've heard more than a handful of rules that are written one but if you ask 2 officials, you'll get 2 different interpretations.

    I guess I'm just glad that we don't really have any great teams around here this year. That's not a cut on any teams but just a critique of our area. A further critique is that it's good because I don't think our area officials make good teams better. A good coaching staff can definitely make good players better. Bad officiating can make a good player average or worse.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  8. #38
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have a rules question

    I don't disagree with too much you say there.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  9. #39
    Inactive Member WiseRecGuy91's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2007
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have a rules question

    You know Coeburn Cane, I love how you made it a personal attack on me because I was backing up a fellow official and just stated the hard cold facts that you like to complain...
    ...and you had to start some off the wall attack about your glory days at UVa-Wise (something I would be real proud about).

    You don't hear me bragin' about all the stuff I did up there, I have grown up.

    The gentlemen that you are speaking of, is one of my best friends and I know that he would tell you the same things I have said - as far as what people said out him and me. Do I agree with any of it, no I do! Neither him nor I ever called a game unfairly.

    I love the fact that while you were in school, I was not the professor in that class, Mr. Welch was, I had no impact on their grades and I think it's pretty bad that you live is some paradox world to somehow make this crap up. I truly don't remember me ever doing what you said and at that why don't we ask some of these other so called people on the forum that say the same about me as you do to speak up. This is truly sad on your part.

    I am sorry that the guys in Kappa Sigma never let you in that was their choice, not mine, so please don't take out your frustrations of not being able to join that organization on me!

    I don't know about you, but I don't have enough time during my day at work to change 10 year old records or documents. Seeing that you know me so well you should have known that I no longer run the program at night. I just oversee the entire department. Glad to know all these people talked about me behind my back to and didn't have the manhood to say it to my face, but that's how most people are! I really don't care about those people, I enjoy what I do, love going to work everyday and making a positve impact on the lives of young people.

    I'll be honest with you, I am done with this conversation and will not revisit and say what you will about me. I know I am a good official at the high school leave and at the college at the sports I call and will continue to support my fellow officials in the games they call. I agree with some of the other posts that have been made around, CAN THIS THREAD PLEASE GET BACK TO QUESTIONS FOR OFFICIALS AND GOOD DISCUSSIONS ABOUT THOSE QUESTIONS!

    I have really never posted on hear, but have enjoyed ready the "Good" discussions and not the personal attacks.

  10. #40
    Inactive Member Slobber Knocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2007
    Posts
    807
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I have a rules question

    LOL! Glory days at UVA-WISE! Now thats funny!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •